Personal Effects and Fishing Equipment
For your pike and walleye fishing trip
- Quebec fishing license (through us): Yearly $62.00 CDN, 7-day stay - $41.50 CDN, 3-day stay - $27.00 CDN;
- Life jacket (mandatory) and boat cushions for your comfort and;
- Landing net;
- IMPORTANT: Life vests, boat seats and landing net will be provided by Air Tamarac up at Lake Hébert and Charlotte.
- Portable fish finder;
- For Canadian Residents only: your Pleasure Craft Operator Card
Specific equipment for walleye fishing:
- 6 to 10 pound test lines are adequate (attached directly to the jig head for walleye fishing/no swivel or steel leader);
- Worms (night crawlers) are recommended for walleye fishing. Use half a piece with jigs or go with the bottom bouncers (walker) technique;
- Jigs: Colored lead heads 1/4 ounce (3/8 ounce in July and August.). Please fish barbless for catch & release. Colored 3 inch-plastic tail (Mister Twister style): 4 inches with 3/8 ounce. Bring smaller heads and grubs for times when they are picky: yellow, white, black, chartreuse, orange, and purple are sure values. For tails, the new salted power minnows by Berkley are excellent (blue and grey);
- Deep Thunderstick, Wally Diver, Frenzy, Shad raps, Thin fins (blue ones), Perch Rapalas, Hot'n Tot are to be brought if you are not jigging but trolling for walleyes.
Specific equipment for northern pike fishing:
- Wobbling spoons like red and white with silver back or yellow five-of- diamonds Daredevil: Blue Fox Aqua Spoons or Len Thompsons are really the bread-and-butter lures for spring pike fishing. Spinner baits, straight-shaft-spinners -- such as the Panther Martin, Blue Fox or Mepps -- are also good lures for trophy northerns. Pike also hit jigs (double tail green jigs), Rapalas and Thundersticks;
- In the summer, some of the biggest pikes are caught with small jigs while Walleye fishing. It makes sense because the big pike will then patrol the outer parameter of the schools of Walleyes;
- Late summer and fall: Back to big spoons in shallow water.
TOPOGRAPHICAL MAPS FOR FISHING (to consult or print):
- Sleeping bag, pillows, dish towels and cloths, face cloths;
- Paper towels, Napkins, toilet paper;
- Camera, Tamarac hat, sun protection lotion and sunglasses;
- Rain suits, warm clothing and good boots;
- Insect repellent and lotion (bug net and mosquito coils good for June 15 to July 15 trip);
- Filet knife and sharpener;
- Garbage bags, ziploc bags, aluminum foil, plastic wraps;
- Staple items (salt, pepper, sugar, etc...);
- Dish detergent, all purpose cleaner, bath soap;
- Cases of beer in cans please (18 pounds only... bottles are 35 pounds!);
- Pack light. Bring only what you will use and remember that smaller jars and formats can do the job.
Weight limit is 110 pounds of luggage/pers from Clova and 100 pounds/pers from Baskatong. Any extra plane trips required will be at your charge.